ADVERTISEMENT

Playoff Scores

This is the point of the playoffs that will bring out the best and worst in players and fans. During Friday's game between Daniel and Union, the official behind the plate was faced with a pitcher that questioned every call he made. This went on and on until the umpire instructed the catcher to inform their pitcher that she was being warned that her continued exhibition would not be tolerated. Pitcher walked off the mound to discuss with her coach who then had a sharp exchange with the umpire. There was unnecessay game delays between these teams both times they played.
I know that as adults we are to uplift kids. This pitcher is not a kid, she's a nearly grown woman. Such behavior and disrespect should not be tolerated by the coach or officials. We are not well equpping our children for success in the future if we are not attempting to correct incorrect responses.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spankit
It
This is the point of the playoffs that will bring out the best and worst in players and fans. During Friday's game between Daniel and Union, the official behind the plate was faced with a pitcher that questioned every call he made. This went on and on until the umpire instucted the catcher to inform their pitcher that she was being warned that her continued exhibition would not be tolerated. Pitcher walked off the mound to discuss with her coach who then had a sharp exchange with the umpire. There was unnecessay game delays between these teams both times they played.
I know that as adults we are to uplift kids. This pitcher is not a kid, she's a nearly grown woman. Such behavior and disrespect should not be tolerated by the coach or officials. We are not well equpping our children for success in the future if we are not attempting to correct incorrect responses.

It easy being in your own house with house umpires . Still no excuse Union won . But to address the pitcher has faced umpire with strike zone that far off . So knowing you have to pitchto contact is frustrating a least . I will not get into a argument about home grown umpires . Being from Union you known this .

Dude, you have to throw the ball in the strike zone or at least get close to the plate for it to be a strike. She was in the opposite batters box all night. Had her "home" umpires not called that pitch all season she or the fans wouldn't have expected it to be called. Oh and when the Union player tripped rounding first and the fans laughed, that was real classy.

This is the point of the playoffs that will bring out the best and worst in players and fans. During Friday's game between Daniel and Union, the official behind the plate was faced with a pitcher that questioned every call he made. This went on and on until the umpire instucted the catcher to inform their pitcher that she was being warned that her continued exhibition would not be tolerated. Pitcher walked off the mound to discuss with her coach who then had a sharp exchange with the umpire. There was unnecessay game delays between these teams both times they played.

It's sad I tried to hold my tongue , but since this lady decided to single a young lady that puts the hours in and works her butt off to get where she at . So I ask what have you done for the sport as a fan ? ?? So it's OK as a group of fan to make statementsaid to the pitcher when she at bat ? Or express the fact the that you don't like her . So I say this before you questions other look at yourself . An who did she disrespect ? So you wright this only because she in disbelief of the strike zone . An to your strike zone the college Coach that where there was shocked to see the corner not called . So take the win
With pride and put the pen down .

Heard Hartsville won both their games but not sure of the final scores. Union County took wins over Chapin 8-1 and 8-0. Union County at Hartsville Thursday for round one of 3-A state playoffs.

As to the Union Daniel game, nothing in that post refers to a particular player or team. If the shoe fits, I guess you wear it. I cannot imagine any college coach responding positively to a player chocked full of attitude who would outwardly and continually shows that attitude on the mound. It's always someone else's fault when you continually prop up a player by constant replies and responses on social media as to their prowess and they run into a team that just outplays them hands down.

Union took the win fair and square and with pride. "Home grown umpires"...I'm not sure what that even means. I do believe the officials calling the game are not biased to any team or player. I don't always agree with their calls but they are not just chosen off the streets of Union when we have a home game. Union won their game off pure talent and heart. Please don't disrespect their time and efforts by making everything about your child.

Last edited:
I've been away from the high school game for years, but it seems that nothing has changed when it comes to playoff softball in SC.
A lot of the focus tends to be on bad officiating. As I reflect back it's always been bad no matter if it's the playoffs or the regular season.It's never been great! Certain counties are extremely bad, but it's consistently bad. Don't get me wrong there are a few good ones out there who love what they do, and then there is the rest of the lot.
The bottom line is this.It's softball, it's a part of the game. Learn and grow from it. It's not gonna go away. The great coaches find ways to win, and keep their team focused on the task at hand, no matter how good or bad the officiating is. The great coaches stay in control and keep their players focused no matter what the circumstances are. The great coaches also keep the parents in check. Enjoy this time watching your players and schools, it will all be over soon enough, and when you look back at all the memories...I doubt you're going to waste your time thinking about the bad officiating. You will remember how proud you felt watching your child play the game.

The bottom line is this.It's softball, it's a part of the game. Learn and grow from it. It's not gonna go away. The great coaches find ways to win, and keep their team focused on the task at hand, no matter how good or bad the officiating is. The great coaches stay in control and keep their players focused no matter what the circumstances are. The great coaches also keep the parents in check. Enjoy this time watching your players and schools, it will all be over soon enough, and when you look back at all the memories...I doubt you're going to waste your time thinking about the bad officiating. You will remember how proud you felt watching your child play the game.

I will put down my pen for those wise words. Thank you for the perspective. Would you consider running as a third-party candidate for POTUS?

No way! The political world is way to nasty and drama filled. I've been blessed enough to be on both sides of the fence. Both as a coach and a parent. None of which are easy jobs. Now that I'm away from the game, I see things a little more clearly. I'm glad I can give a different perspective and thank you for your comments.

Reactions: NA_JACKET
No way! The political world is way to nasty and drama filled. I've been blessed enough to be on both sides of the fence. Both as a coach and a parent. None of which are easy jobs. Now that I'm away from the game, I see things a little more clearly. I'm glad I can give a different perspective and thank you for your comments.
I am glad you take time to post. Most people disappear when their daughters are done and take their experiences with them.

I've been away from the high school game for years, but it seems that nothing has changed when it comes to playoff softball in SC.
A lot of the focus tends to be on bad officiating. As I reflect back it's always been bad no matter if it's the playoffs or the regular season.It's never been great! Certain counties are extremely bad, but it's consistently bad. Don't get me wrong there are a few good ones out there who love what they do, and then there is the rest of the lot.

Rarely do I see "bad" officiating in SC High School softball during the playoffs.

The strike zone gets smaller. If you think that is small, wait until college playoff softball.

South Carolina has the best umpires in the USA. Go to other states and play at the high school level, like TN, and you will see a big difference.

It irks me, and I can be a tolerable man, when folks do not realize how good they have it because they may not have traveled out of state, or gotten their zone that day.

Both elevated pitchers and hitters know the absolute key to winning softball is to figure out exactly "where" the zone is for that game. It is in the mind. As long as the home plate calls the same zone, it is an even game.

Some folks do not realize, the umpires you are getting during the High a School playoffs have been selected. I see the same ones at the college level. Please do not treat the playoffs like the regular season. If blue thought the pitcher was making a fool out of herself. He must report it.

The only time I raise my voice, these days, is when the pitching zone changes on circumstance.

Last edited:
Reactions: chrisisarn
Heard Hartsville won both their games but not sure of the final scores. Union County took wins over Chapin 8-1 and 8-0. Union County at Hartsville Thursday for round one of 3-A state playoffs.

As to the Union Daniel game, nothing in that post refers to a particular player or team. If the shoe fits, I guess you wear it. I cannot imagine any college coach responding positively to a player chocked full of attitude who would outwardly and continually shows that attitude on the mound. It's always someone else's fault when you continually prop up a player by constant replies and responses on social media as to their prowess and they run into a team that just outplays them hands down.

Union took the win fair and square and with pride. "Home grown umpires"...I'm not sure what that even means. I do believe the officials calling the game are not biased to any team or player. I don't always agree with their calls but they are not just chosen off the streets of Union when we have a home game. Union won their game off pure talent and heart. Please don't disrespect their time and efforts by making

of 3-A state playoffs.

As to the Union Daniel game, nothing in that post refers to a particular player or team.

Union took the win fair and square and with pride. "Home grown umpires"...I'm not sure what that even means. I do believe the officials calling the game are not biased to any team or player. I don't always agree with their calls but they are not just chosen off the streets of Union when we have a home game. Union won their game off pure talent and heart. Please don't disrespect their time and efforts by making everything about your child.
of 3-A state playoffs.

"As to the Union Daniel game, nothing in that post refers to a particular player or team."
You whole post was on 1 player the pitcher .
As the the Union team no statement I made never took away from there talent or hard work . I also said no excuses Union won . My point was your complaint was about a pitcher that was frustrated with home plate umpire . She made no statement to the umpire , can't a pitcher ask her Catcher where it missed . As to the conversation between home plate umpire and Catcher was at a whisper . So you can only guess what was said .

"This pitcher is not a kid, she's a nearly grown woman."
But you weren't talking about about a specific player or team? Yet you were speaking about Daniel's pitcher the whole time. That was the whole purpose for that post. You bashed a child who puts in hard work. The point of playing a sport is for competition. You act like you've never seen a competitive player before. She did not do anything disrespectful towards the ump than nearly asking him where she missed. If the umpire cannot handle that question then he shouldn't even be umping. The ump should have took it up with the coach rather than telling a player in the game to report it back to the pitcher. That pitcher has been to multiple fields and never has the strike zone been squeezed that bad. When that player was shaking the other teams hand she had missed the coaches hand and a fan called out, "It's okay, we don't like her anyway." She went back and shook the coaches hand. This "nearly grown woman" is one of the nicest kids I've known. If you cannot handle a competitive kid then you shouldn't be around a sport.

Personal attacks have no business on the high school softball field, nor this board, no matter how well disguised.

The line between an adult, And not, is made between high school and college. Not by age. High school softball players are not adults. College players are adults. It is hard fast.

This sport is an emotional game. Blue was only trying to mitigate, by letting the catcher in so she could help. Then it elevated. Probably would have not done so that way in college. But was only trying to settle the pitcher down. Was trying to help, and not punish, as I read it.

But then everything got out of control.

Does not help for the outside to throw darts.

Last edited:
Reactions: juspitchit
Personal attacks have no business on the high school softball field, nor this board, no matter how well disguised.

The line between an adult, And not, is made between high school and college. Not by age. High school softball players are not adults. College players are adults. It is hard fast.

This sport is an emotional game. Blue was only trying to mitigate, by letting the catcher in so she could help. Then it elevated. Probably would have not done so that way in college. But was only trying to settle the pitcher down. Was trying to help, and not punish, as I read it.

But then everything got out of control.

Does not help for the outside to throw darts.
Great response BS100. I read an article a while back about the 10 Commandments of all parents with youth athletes. I use them to remind me of my role. I am a very competitive person, so I need reminding from time to time. Here they are.

I. Thou shalt cheer for the entire team.
II. Thou shalt focus on the positives.
III. Thou shalt show respect for the opposing team.
IV. Thou shalt let the coach lead the team how he or she sees fit. (If you are not happy, then feel free to make a different decision at the end of the season)
V. Thou shalt show up whenever possible.
VI. Understand a child's athletic abilities are not a reflection of good or bad parenting.
VII. Thou shalt respect the referees.
VIII. Thou shalt remember the kids are always watching.
IX. Thou shalt not live vicariously through the child.
X. Thou shalt remember what is actually important at the end of the day.

There is a vast difference between "bashing", "attacking" and "observation". I observed what I deemed inappropriate behavior and made a comment. My intent, which none of you know nor can gauge was automatically taken to be an "attack". Look at some of your posts regarding fans....Are you guilty of "bashing" or "attacking?

I can't begin to know what this even means. Is it somewhere in the law about this transition point between childhood and adulthood being the 3 months between high school graduation and entering the first year of college? Not bashing, just questioning the philosophy.

South Carolina has the best umpires in the USA. Go to other states and play at the high school level, like TN, and you will see a big difference.
There is a drastic difference between umpires from the upper state and lower state. Even you can't deny that there is a huge difference. Upper State umpires are good, and parts of the lower state are bad. Are all umpires bad? No they are not. My point with my post was to look past all of little things that mean nothing, and look at the big picture. As for the SC umpires being the best in the country...we live in a big country. I've been around the east coast a time or two and there are some states with very good, consistent officiating. But your opinion is your opinion, and I can respect that.

Last edited:
There is a vast difference between "bashing", "attacking" and "observation". I observed what I deemed inappropriate behavior and made a comment. My intent, which none of you know nor can gauge was automatically taken to be an "attack". Look at some of your posts regarding fans....Are you guilty of "bashing" or "attacking?

I can't begin to know what this even means. Is it somewhere in the law about this transition point between childhood and adulthood being the 3 months between high school graduation and entering the first year of college? Not bashing, just questioning the philosophy.

Since when has asking the ump where she missed ever been considered inappropriate behavior? You purpose of the post was to make that player look bad. It's not your place as a "fan" to judge her. She did nothing wrong and accusing her of "inappropriate behavior" makes you look bad. As said before, personal attacks don't belong on this website so keep your negative, biased "observations" off of the keyboard.

That "nearly grown woman" is well equipped for success in her future and has been working very hard since she was 12 to get where she's at. She will be very successful despite your opinion. Who was disrespected? What do you condone inappropriate behavior? How many game delays were there? The pitcher is entitled to speak with her coach.

She is entitled to speak with her coach, but she is not allowed to question every pitch because she did not like what was called. That is unsporting behavior and could be cause for ejection. The umpire was trying to get her to stop this before it escalated. He went about it in a professional way. He didn't make a scene about it and call her out in front of all of the fans. He quietly said something to the catcher to let her take care of it. It wasn't until she started to walk to the dugout to discuss with her coach and then he made a scene in front of everyone about it. After that incident she no longer displayed her displeasure about pitches.

She is entitled to speak with her coach, but she is not allowed to question every pitch because she did not like what was called. That is unsporting behavior and could be cause for ejection. The umpire was trying to get her to stop this before it escalated. He went about it in a professional way. He didn't make a scene about it and call her out in front of all of the fans. He quietly said something to the catcher to let her take care of it. It wasn't until she started to walk to the dugout to discuss with her coach and then he made a scene in front of everyone about it. After that incident she no longer displayed her displeasure about pitches.
There was no scene made. The pitcher merely told her coach about what was said and the coach then spoke to the umpire to get better detail of her supposedly "inappropriate behavior." She didn't question every pitch. She knows the strike zone and has traveled the country and never has the trike zone been this bad. There was no "display of displeasure" rather than asking where she missed when the pitch was of great importance. To say that she questioned every pitch is a dramatic statement.

It's sad I tried to hold my tongue , but since this lady decided to single a young lady that puts the hours in and works her butt off to get where she at . So I ask what have you done for the sport as a fan ? ?? So it's OK as a group of fan to make statementsaid to the pitcher when she at bat ? Or express the fact the that you don't like her . So I say this before you questions other look at yourself . An who did she disrespect?

When that player was shaking the other teams hand she had missed the coaches hand and a fan called out, "It's okay, we don't like her anyway." She went back and shook the coaches hand.

Judge for yourselves......

Since when has asking the ump where she missed ever been considered inappropriate behavior? You purpose of the post was to make that player look bad. It's not your place as a "fan" to judge her. She did nothing wrong and accusing her of "inappropriate behavior" makes you look bad. As said before, personal attacks don't belong on this website so keep your negative, biased "observations" off of the keyboard.
A good coach does the asking to the umpire, not the player! A coaches job is to go to war for every girl on that field like she is his own. A player especially a Pitcher doesn't even question an umpire. Setting yourself up for bad calls the rest of the game. A High School Pitcher has enough to worry about during a game, umpire should be the last of her concerns. Maturity and proper coaching in the future will fix that. Just my opinion.

Reactions: Blanco elephante
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT