ADVERTISEMENT

Individual state match ups

Feb 9, 2017
So who does everyone think will be the final's matches at states...each classification 2a..3a..4a..5a?....go

5A 145 Should be Emery vs Hart... the only way that changes is if Emery goes up to 152. Hart cant drop and Emery shouldn't if he has any idea who AJ is

Anyone give jordie any problem? Whitlock have any problems? Mansfield beat Jenkins? Patterson have any problems at 08? Maholtz win 20 as a freshman? What's y'alls opinions

3AAA

Addison-106
Smith-113
Lee-120
Smith-126
Daniels-132
Broadnax-138
Grooms or Martin-145
James-152
McKinney-160
White-170
Newton-182
Eaton-195
Hamby-220
James-HWT

Reactions: revfrank4
4-AAAA

Patterson-106
White-113
Whitcomb-120
Jenkins-126
Mansfield-132
Braden / D'Ambrosio-138 (toss up)
Whitlock-145
North-152
Rodgers-160
Christie-170
?-182
Smith-195
Woods-220
Manos-HWT

If I picked correctly, I may start gambling.

I think 06 and 20 could be toss ups really good freshman at those weights 52 could be a toss up also with Caleb from es rest of pick I can agree with

AAAA

106 - Patterson
113 - White
120 - Maholtz
126 - Jenkins
132 - Mansfield
138 - Flyte (biggest surprise of the tourney)
145 - Whitlock
152 - Carillo
160 - Rodgers
170 - Christie
182 - Desjardins
195 - Smith
220 - Sully
285 - Manos

Don't count Stephenson out from Hillcrest at 145. 126/132 in 5a should be interesting with wrestlers trying to get away from AJ.

I think Mansfield vs Jenkins should be great!

Chavis from Boiling Springs is my pick at 132 in 5a.

120 will be Aquino
113 will be Brasseur
106 will be the kid from FD

Don't count Stephenson out from Hillcrest at 145. 126/132 in 5a should be interesting with wrestlers trying to get away from AJ.

I think Mansfield vs Jenkins should be great!

Chavis from Boiling Springs is my pick at 132 in 5a.

120 will be Aquino
113 will be Brasseur
106 will be the kid from FD

Question - Aren't the wrestlers locked into the weight class they qualified in at the region tournaments? There should be no dropping or bumping at upper state/lower state or states right?

You're right. I don't know what I was thinking. My bad. See, that's why I don't gamble.
I agree until the other coaches all show they're 220's how arrogant it sounds to guarantee a state championship. I think the kid's a great wrestler, and SHOULD win, but I surely would not want to the coach who motivated another kid to upset my wrestler. Humility is the difference between a guess and a guarantee.

Reactions: BuckkillerSC
No... what im hearing is that the region tournaments no longer count in 5A... because every wrestler in the upper State Qualify due to the number of schools, the region tournament no longer counts... say you wrestle 170 in Region 1 5A tournament, you could wrestle at upper state at 152 if your assessment allowed you

No... what im hearing is that the region tournaments no longer count in 5A... because every wrestler in the upper State Qualify due to the number of schools, the region tournament no longer counts... say you wrestle 170 in Region 1 5A tournament, you could wrestle at upper state at 152 if your assessment allowed you

That is correct! Every kid makes the upperstate. Seeds are by records. You can wrestle wherever you want. You can take your record down but not up. Still a lot of noise about where kids might end up.

Embarrassing for whom? Asking without snark, just curious as to your intent.

More an overarching comment to the absurdity of a 4 Division system to which the SC Wrestling community bears the brunt. Not a slight or slander towards our coaches association because I'm sure the consensus there is that further fragmentation is a net negative. I'm fully aware that call was made by those with little to no skin in the game.

A single tiered qualifying process isn't something I have heard of prior, especially when qualifiers are only pulled from two tournaments. (I think for example NC has SW, SE, NW and so on or however they are named, as their qualifiers) Just seems a bit janky in my view.

On the bright side, I love larger individual tournaments both in mat count and bracket size so should be good for that. I like the idea of kids being able to get on a roll and make a run which is obviously tougher in a truncated bracket.

106 - Aluyan - Fort D
113- Brasseur - Lexington
120- Aquino- Dorman
126- Cameron - Ashley Ridge
132- Chavis - Boiling Springs
138- Leitten -Fort Mill
145-Hart- Fort Mill
152- Prince- Stratford
160- Parker - Fort D
170- Parker - Fort D
182- Rojas - Boiling Springs
195- Montgomery - Dutch Fork
220-Trephan - Ashley Ridge
HWT- Perales - Sumter

If Cameron is going down I'd put my money on him, but I wouldn't be surprised if Bailey Wilkins wins it as a freshman. Before you said he was cutting I would have bet on a Christopher vs Wilkins finale

5a rules don't say anything about the region qualifying. Panels made up of two representatives from each region will seed

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT