ADVERTISEMENT

What Did We Learn After Two Weeks?

JB_a_Rivals

Varsity All American
May 7, 2003
What did we learn in this second-first week of high school football in South Carolina? Here's a few questions that I had and the answers that were revealed this weekend.

1. Can Gaffney repeat as the Class 4A Champions?
No, they cannot and will not. I know that the Indians went out and ambushed the Clinton Red Devils but the Devils, right now, have no sharp points on the end of their pitchforks. This Indian team looked horrible against Northwestern last week on defense and against Clinton, this week, they gave up 301 rushing yards and allowed 73 offensive plays to the Devils.

I get it; they are young on defense. They did lose a lot of talent on the defensive side of the football. But it is more than that. They just don't look the part, either. They look smaller and slower. I know, from sources, that they had very little participation in the off-season lifting program especially in the Summer. This may not be "your father's Gaffney" team but it ain't Phil Strickland's either. The lack of discipline in relationship to commitment to get better is evident and I think it costs the Indians.

Barring a miraculous recovery on the defensive side of the football, I think Gaffney will lose to Dorman, Byrnes, and Spartanburg in region play. I hate it for the Indians. I've got a couple of good buddies that are Indian faithful, but they are in for a long season by Gaffney standards.

2. Is Northwestern the definitive favorite for the 4A title?
Ask me on September 14th, the day after the Byrnes match up. This team is for real, though. Aside the fact that they have an excellent quarterback in senior Mason Rudolph, they have a receiving corps that is comparable to Byrnes' group. Mustafa Love, Quaradius Faire, and Dupree Hart are as dangerous as any in the state. But it is not the offensive power that is, in my opinion, going to win a championship. It is going to be the defense of the Trojans. This team is loaded with seven returners on that side of the football and they have one of the best defensive secondaries in the state, if not the best. Corey Sargent could be one of the top two safeties in the 2014 Class in South Carolina, and he anchors a stingy defense.

If this team can get by Byrnes, which is going to be a HUGE task, I think they run the table in regular season. South Pointe, who I expected to give them a run for their money in region play, does not appear to be ready to make that challenge right now. York is sporatically good, which is to say they have the ability to play well and when they do, they are very good but they also have the ability to play not-so-well and when they do they are bad.

3. Is there a dominate team in the Class 3A yet?
I don't think so. I believe D.W. Daniel's big win over Easley last night shows that they are deserving of the top spot at this time, but I don't know that a win over Easley flexes muscles of dominance in a Class where there are several strong teams at the top.

Hartsville and Strom Thurmond are each going to be very tough and make a case as the top team but they also have something else in common: a tough opponent(s) in their region that could be spoilers. Hartsville, in their region, has to contend with Marlboro County, who is going to get even better as the season rolls on; they also have a much improved Darlington team wanting to play the part of the spoiler. Strom Thurmond has Swansea breathing down their neck in Region V-3A and the Tigers would love to be the team to knock the Rebels from their pedestal.

4. Is there a title contender in the Midlands?
That would depend on the classification we're talking about. I like the Fairfield-Central Griffins' chances of getting back to the title game this year. They have the talent to win it and they may be the Midlands' best shot at a title.

Dutch Fork is a definite contender but I wouldn't say they are a favorite at this time. They have to contend with North Augusta in region play and then when the playoff's begin, the 4A DI brackets could be stronger this season with the improvement of some of the DI teams.

Swansea has an outside chance. They have a tough region this season and the lower state 3A bracket is going to be a monster.

5. Who has the best chance at repeating as State Champs?
I don't think either of the 4A teams will repeat this season and while I like Hartsville, I'm not sure they have the best shot in 3A. Dillon in 2A Division I is a favorite there, though I don't see Bishop England repeating in DII. Christ Church should be unchallenged in 1A Division I, and Cross could get back, but it won't be as easy a run as last years.

So, between the two I believe will get back, Dillon and Christ Church, I like Christ Church's chances much more than Dillon's. That is not to say Dillon won't repeat, I just believe that Christ Church is a better bet and has the best chance at repeating.

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News