ADVERTISEMENT

Region V-AAA

I20HWY

Rookie
Oct 17, 2014
Aiken
Unlucky for Midland Valley tonight! Good job by Airport despite their foul mouthed coaching staff.
4-0 Swansea3-1 Airport2-2 Midland Valley2-2 Gilbert1-3 Brookland-Cayce0-4 AikenSay what you will but the non-conference opponents mean something. Some teams were prepared, some teams were not. Once again the wheels fell off for a Region V team!

What were JB's predictions at the beginning of the year?

Oh yeah? I don't remember it that way, but it should have been that way. Coach Knight's time has run out at MVHS.

Swansea has locked up the top spot, and Airport has clinched the 2 seed and a home playoff game. Swansea owns the tiebreaker over Airport, and Airport would own the tiebreaker over MV and Gilbert having beaten both head to head. BC is out of the playoffs along with Aiken, even with a win next week due to losing head to head with both MV and Gilbert. The only remaining question is who will be the 3 seed and who will be 4 between MV and Gilbert.

This post was edited on 10/25 12:27 AM by Layin' the wood

Heard Airport's pick 6 came on a 3rd and 40 for MV and they tried to chunk it to actually get the first down...

Originally posted by Rod Dangerfield:
Didn't B-C beat Fairfield Central earlier in the year? Was that a fluke or something?
I don't think it was a fluke; FFC was not playing like they are playing now and neither is Brookland-Cayce; but remember, the reason FFC lost was because they went for the win in 2nd OT and missed getting the 2-point conversion.

I addressed this region prior to region play and said that I thought of all the teams, that Airport was the team with the most potential to turn it around from where they started, purely based on the talent on that team. And here they are, in the runner up spot.

Brookland-Cayce is has a ton of potential but they can't quite get the wheels rolling. It's like they almost "quit" playing in the fourth quarter of the Aiken game and have struggled every since then. Last night, when they ran through the banner at the beginning of the game they looked flat doing that.

Midland Valley, well, I don't know what to say; I haven't watched them enough. But they certainly have the talent on that team to have won this region.

Gilbert may be the most under rated team in the region. Jakayus Leaphart is the real deal at running back; the kid is a force to contend with and a game-plan player. Quarterback Nick Hendrix (Hendricks?) is a very good dual threat quarterback. Probably better on the ground than through the air but effective.

Swansea, plain and simple, is not the same team they were in the first half of the season. Chance Walker is a strong play-maker, as is Craig Johnson. I don't know who #33 is, but he played his tail off last night against Brookland-Cayce. This is a dangerous team right now.

Aiken, well, they simply do not have the depth as they rebuild this program. Very good players on this team but too many playing both ways to play against good two-platoon teams.

Originally posted by I20HWY:
Unlucky for Midland Valley tonight! Good job by Airport despite their foul mouthed coaching staff.

4-0 Swansea
3-1 Airport
2-2 Midland Valley
2-2 Gilbert
1-3 Brookland-Cayce
0-4 AikenSay what you will but the non-conference opponents mean something. Some teams were prepared, some teams were not. Once again the wheels fell off for a Region V team!

What were JB's predictions at the beginning of the year?
As I said, I had Midland Valley picked as the region favorite and debated that with a BC booster on the boards. The below were my comments on Airport that I wrote in my Baxter's Blitz column back in late September in response to readers' questions.

"Airport is another team that I believe has underachieved in out of region play, but have the talent to challenge in the Region V-3A. They've had some misfortune in the way of injuries but region play begins this week and these final five games are the ones that count. I think they have a talented enough roster to challenge for this region. At the very least, they should be able to finish in the top three in region. "

MV did just about everything in their power to shoot themselves in the foot and lose the game. Airport struggled in the 1st half but made excellent adjustments and had the ball bounce their way a few times. MV had plenty of chances and couldn't capitalize on the OUTSTANDING field position the whole game. Who starts at their own 45 or better at least 6 times and gets 13 points out of that? They had a better chance moving the ball down the whole field. The confusion on one of the kick returns where the 2 kick returners tackling each other on the one yard line certainly didn't help their chances. And just like BallCoach said...who runs a play like that on 3rd and a mile? The defense wants you to throw that pass. You rip off 2 huge chunk yardage plays running it to the left on your last drive and then decide to run 4 straight plays to the weak right side and get a TOD to let Airport take it right down for the game winning TD? Chris Berman and the boys say "C'mon Man" to that. But I digress.

Swansea will go undefeated in region, airport should lock up number 2 and hopefully (I say HOPEFULLY) MV gets back on track and beats Aiken next Friday to lock up the number 3 seed. Either way, MV is going to have to travel a long way and if history is true, that's not a good sign for the Mustangs.

Valley in need of change completely.Running same stuff for 20 plus years.There should have been no way they lost this game.

The number (3) in that region will end up @ Wilson Florence, SC or @ Georgetown Georgetown, SC

So JB...explain to me the at-large bids for the playoffs in 3A and do you think this region will get one? It seems to me that my Indians will either end up the 3 or 4 seed and I think only 3 spots are guaranteed in this region? To get the 3 seed we need to beat Swansea AND have MV lose to Aiken right?

Swansea and Airport will host 1st Round games while Midland Valley and Gilbert will travel. Brookland-Cayce and Aiken will pack up the gear for the year! Will be interesting to see if any of these teams can advance from this league - kind of weak all things considered.

If Gilbert wins and MV were to lose to Aiken, then Gilbert would get the 3 seed because they would be 3-2 in region and MV 2-3. Only if they end up with the same record would the head to head tiebreaker apply, in which case it would be MV as the 3

Airport has done just enough to win the last two weeks. Stopped Leapheart on a 2 point conversion, at the 1 foot line, to win by one. Then threw an 8 yard TD pass with 10 seconds left after taking a sack with first and goal from the 1/2 yard line, to beat MV by 4 points. Did have a FG chance to tie if needed.

They have to play better the entire game to have a chance to go deep in the playoffs. They are also playing very young and peaking at the right time. We will only lose one lineman and 2 main recievers (loaded with young talent) on offense, 2 defensive lineman, and 3 defensive backs. Junior class is very strong with a bunch that will be 3 year starters next season.

Has anyone looked at possible scenarios for the At-Large bids for the AAA playoffs? Just curious - a lot to look at - and a lot determinate upon this Friday's results.

I believe that Gilbert as a 4 seed will be on the bubble; their our of region record will hurt; records of opponents aren't too bad, as they have River Bluf and B&L on there; Pelion has a winning record but Saluda hurts. Will be close.

I know these teams are glad Strom Thurmond dropped down to AA. Here are the Region V teams the past 5 years in region play. () has the win totals from 2010-14:

19-5 Swansea (2, 5, 4, 4, 4)
13-11 Airport (4, 4, 1, 1, 3)
12-12 Midland Valley (4, 0, 3, 3, 2)
10-14 Gilbert (2, 3, 2, 1, 2)
6-18 Brookland-Cayce (2, 2, 0, 1, 1)
4-20 Aiken (2, 2, 0, 0, 0)

*Aiken was AAAA from 2010-13. Gilbert and Swansea were AA in 2010-11

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT